Thursday, June 21, 2007

justice vs mercy

Why do I struggle to fully understand the grace of God?

Perhaps it is because justice is a more worldly 'where-I-live' concept, while mercy is decidedly not. There are very few times on this earth when a person doesn't get what they deserve...

Maybe it's because receiving something you deserve makes better sense than getting something you don't. I am a big fan of justice... I cheer when someone gets what they have earned, whether good or bad.

Or maybe it's because most of us have a fundamental misunderstanding of Mercy and Grace. I believe this is the most likely reason I don't get it...

The Bible teaches that God is a just God. It also teaches that He is a merciful God. How can both be true? Aren't these character traits polar opposites? Aren't they mutually exclusive?

According to Paul's inspired writings, when God looks at me He sees His Son. Since His son is sinless, that means God sees me as sinless... so where is the justice in that? I deserve eternal death, but I am given eternal life. How can a just God give me something so obviously undeserved?

Some have said that God's mercy and grace are New Testament concepts while his justice (and wrath) are Old Testament principles... I have a hard time getting my mind around that...

Could it be that God's Mercy and Grace are reserved for His people.... and His Justice is reserved for those who never name Him as their Lord? just asking....

At 45 years old, I am just beginning to develop a rudimentary understanding of God's grace... it is still very mysterious to me... but whether or not I EVER fully understand it, I know this: I am eternally grateful for it!

Blessings!

No comments: