Tuesday, July 8, 2008

endless speech and ceaseless praise

Listening to the waves crashing on the shore is maybe one of the top five sounds God created to tickle our ears… child’s laugh, wife’s voice, momma’s call, etc would have to be included in any ‘best of’ list…

Anyhow, as I drink my first cup of coffee this morning on the balcony overlooking the gulf of Mexico, I am closing my eyes listening to one of the most awesome sounds on the planet… and as I sit watching the surf crash relentlessly into the sugar white sand, I am in awe. I remember the first time I saw the ocean, and I remember every time I have seen it since… it really is – in a definitive sense – awesome!

I have heard the scientific explanations for why and how this natural phenomenon occurs, and I still don’t understand… all I know is that, just like the angels in heaven praise Him 24/7/365, the waves are crying out His name and proclaiming His glory… all day every day until He comes back to claim us! … and maybe the coolest thing about these ceaseless proclamations is that they cross every barrier! They are cross-cultural and cross-gender… the break down every language and caste and racial and religious wall! The 19th Psalm confirms it…

People who stood on this beach during the Civil War saw and heard these endless announcements! As did every other person since the dawn of time…

I need this. I need to recharge my soul and spend uninterrupted time with my family in a place where the ‘everyday’ isn’t. I crave this place and am drawn to this time of rest and relaxation…

But, more than anything, I need to hear the ocean cry out His name… and I hunger for the sound of His handiwork calling attention to Itself… all so He can be glorified!

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.
There is no speech or language
where their voice is not heard.
Their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.

Today, no matter where you are or what you are doing, I encourage you to take just 5 minutes and look for something which cries out the message that He is ‘I Am’...and join creation in lifting Him up in praise…

God Bless!

No comments: