Thursday, September 10, 2009

handling new information

I sell instructional software to public schools. I have been a sales rep for my entire adult life... it is my mission to try and learn all I can about my craft. So when I hear of a new idea or a different wrinkle in sales methodology, I try very hard to study it and decide if I can or should incorporate it into my sales habits... I love learning new ways to help people buy my product. and for me, it really is more than just 'selling' something. I gotta believe in what I have to offer...

nonetheless, I do enjoy learning about new sales tools.

What if I were still using the exact same method I used in the early 80s when I began my career? What if I had the attitude that I already had learned it all? what if I decided that there would never be a better way than my way? ....that there was no new information to apply nor knowledge to apply?

well, I would stagnate and stop learning and growing... and I would underachieve, drastically. and probably be looking for a different career!

while it is not exactly analogous, there is application which can be made to our understanding of God's Word and His Will for our lives...

for my entire upbringing, I was taught that God spoke to us only through the Bible, and the only way His Spirit 'led' us was through that written Word.

I now believe that not only did God indeed speak to us through Spirit-breathed Scripture, but that - according to that very Scripture, and my developing understanding of it - God's Holy Spirit ALSO indwells us and leads and guides us TODAY! ACTIVELY!

so, if I believe THAT... and THAT is NEW information to me...

what do I do with THIS NEW INFORMATION?

do I ignore it? Some do... frankly because it interrupts and upsets their previous understanding... new information invariably makes us uncomfortable...

but do we act as if this new information doesn't exist?

do we fight it? do we try and explain it away?

I believe we had better embrace it and try to apply it...

right?


God Bless us as we continue to learn and grow and change into His vision of us!

No comments: