Wednesday, September 2, 2009

under assault... again

So you know I love to laugh, right? I love a good joke, and I admit that what I sometimes find really funny is maybe a little beyond the pale....

but I gotta say I am not laughing at this one:

"Minor-league baseball promotion cashes in on Tim Tebow's marketability" was the headline in the Orlando Sentinel late last week... the article told of a promotion by the Orlando Miracle (the local minor league affiliate of Minnesota Twins)... they planned to have a "What Would Tim Tebow Do?" night which was to be highlighted by a Tim Tebow double walking on water and the handing out of promise rings to each paid ticket holder, among other things.

Tebow, the Heisman trophy winning quarterback for the Florida Gators who has led them to 2 national championships in the last 3 years, is known for his outwardly Christian values; he speaks about abstinence, and says he is a virgin who is saving himself for marriage.... ESPN has even carried special stories showing Tim helping in a medical clinic in a Central American country...

and the 'Miracle' is making fun. openly.

I was a little heartened to hear a commentator on ESPN observe the following: "if this were ANY other religion but Christianity, there would be a public outcry, but it's ok to ridicule and make fun of Christians... where's the outrage now?"

and he's right. if Tebow were a Muslim or Buddhist, there's no way ANYONE would even THINK of having such a promotion...

I know, I know... I, too, get a little weary of every group under the sun claiming this right or that outrage... but I gotta say, this crossed the line for me.

I think it is a continuation of the assault on Christianity and, at the end of the day, on Jesus himself... it is persecution, plain and simple.

...humor is a funny thing (no pun intended)... it can easily cross the line, because it quietly marginalizes whatever the subject matter is... once you can laugh at something, it is hard to then take that something seriously, right?

it gets worse: These bunch of geniuses had even planned to have the same Tebow-stand-in perform a live circumcision on the pitchers' mound during the 7th inning stretch! I am not making this up! I couldn't make this up!

Thankfully the brilliant marketing minds from the Orlando Miracle were reigned in by smarter - or at least more sensitive people (probably sensitive to being sued, since they received certified letters from the University of Florida reminding them of the legal ramifications)... the promotion was toned WAY DOWN... they still had a character named 'TT' walk on water, and folks still got a TT promise ring...

some of y'all are probably thinking "can't you take a joke?"

yeah, I can... just not seeing any humor in this one...

Blessings!

No comments: