Friday, August 28, 2009

more thoughts on His Church

i am passionate about His Church.

and I fear I sometimes convey a poor attitude when I speak or write about it.

I confess that it is difficult not to bring my former church 'baggage' to any conversation regarding His Body.... for that I apologize. that is on me, and I need to do much better...

(don't you hate it when someone apologizes, then goes on to 'explain away' the behavior which necessitated the apology in the first place??!?!?! well, I suppose I am about to do just that.....)

by way of 'explanation', I guess what makes it especially difficult (the leaving behind of the baggage part) is my perception that there are leaders across our fellowship (as well as in other faith groups) who are falling into the same faithless traps and godless habits that have ensnared other leaders and elders and 'would be' shepherds before them... traps like 'building-itis' and 'board-of-director-ism' and 'policy-making-sclerosis'... all of which misdirect attention from true shepherding.

do you ever feel that way? like you bring baggage? or that the baggage you bring causes you to be less than objective or downright unkind or impatient?

perhaps I need to do a better job of living the concept taught in the great unity chapter of the Bible, Ephesians 4.... I firmly believe that 'speaking the truth in love' (which is taught throughout scripture) is absolutely KEY to being a unifier instead of a divider....

furthermore, I am not sure that TRUTH matters very much at all without the SPEAKING IT IN LOVE part.... because if people can't see past my LOVELESS delivery, they will never hear the TRUTH... which makes the attaining of that truth and the gathering of that knowledge the ultimate exercise in futility.

so, for my part, loveless truth has little worth... and I certainly need to remember that as I try to communicate truth to others! When I forget it, I end up alienating the very people with whom I am trying to communicate..... what a terrible shame!


now to the body thoughts: has your group's journey stagnated a little?

I have a couple notions as to why that may be... and perhaps a couple ideas how to 'unstagnate' it.... but I must confess that my ideas are not very imaginative... as a matter of fact, as I write them in this post, they appear rather pedestrian and conventional and institutional, but here goes:

  • deeper Bible study - the absence of which is probably the foundation of many congregational ills
  • a 'sold-out' approach to home church or small groups - become fully invested in this very very Biblical model... do not view it as just another 'ministry' or 'program'
  • adopt an "OUTWARD FOCUSED AT OUR INNER CORE" approach and mindset. nothing cures squabbles and discontent like focusing on meeting the needs of others!

ok, how bout some less traditional ideas:

  • if institutionalism is becoming problematic, sell your building and rent! that immediately gets rid of a BUNCH of garbage, right? (incidentally, Rick "purpose driven dude" Warren's SaddleBack church did not own a building for a very very long time... their most explosive growth happened without building ownership... is there a lesson there?)
  • are your shepherds becoming too imitative of a board of directors? then prayerfully help them divest of 'duties' like policy development and decision-making and refereeing! how? I have no ideas on this one.... probably why it is the single biggest elder issue!
  • are your people too 'worship-service-at-the-building-Sunday-Sunday-night-wednesday-night' oriented? then stop 'having' the conventional offerings at these times! how 'bout only ONE OFFICIAL WORSHIP ASSEMBLY PER WEEK - ON SUNDAY MORNING! then perhaps nightly bible study and fellowship groups at the building AND in homes! (incidentally, if I were prince for a day, i would make pew-sitting and attendance-counting and score-keeping and clock-punching VERY VERY uncomfortable! not only does it miss the point... when we allow/foster/promote this old conventional model, it encourages people to engage in meaningless ritual! and usually at the expense of more meaningful activity.)

ok, that's enough wild, hair-brained ideas for one post!!!

regardless of where God leads you and your faith group in the days to come (and I have GREAT PEACE about that, by the way!), for my part: I resolve to address those round about me - especially those with whom i disagree - with respect and love.

because my voice is a loud, worthless, clanking cymbal if I fail to do that.

Blessings!

2 comments:

lynn said...

www.learnthebible.org/the-origin-of-sunday-and-wednesday-evening-services.html -
on this site click on Church of Christ - a sad commentary on instrumental music.

lynn said...

CONFORMED TO HIS IMAGE by Kenneth Boa page 504
It is healthy to pursue a balance of both corporate spirituality and personal spirituality. In the modern West, an excessive individualism and interest on the psychology of the self has often separated believers from the spiritual benefits of life in community. But it is also possible to focus so much on the institutional side of the church that the personal and inward aspects of Christian living are overlooked. Many great figures in the history of spirituality have achieved a balance between mutual servanthood in corporate life and a personal quest for spiritual depth. The extremes of social action without personal spiritual consciousness and spiritual individualism without social relevance are both unbiblical. The former is the trap of liberal Christianity, and the latter is the snare of conservative Christianity.
A response to an earlier blog. Love you.