Friday, August 21, 2009

what's important

I know I have written in this space about the Tyranny of the Urgent... and how our day-to-day crowds out what is truly important. The insidious nature of this 'urgent' is that, after a while, the 'important' cannot be defended as such.

I mean, how could I say or think that Bible Study, for example, is important to me when a cursory inspection of my daily walk would reveal that I rarely if ever open His Word?

How can I purport to be a 'family man' when I am rarely with my family?

how can a momma consider herself a great momma when she doesn't even know when her kiddos' activities are?

again, the 'urgent' crowds out the 'important' until it assumes its position.

so.... what's important?
  1. God
  2. family
  3. church family
  4. job
  5. having fun

here's a quick test: where do you spend your time? where do you spend your money?

put another way: what if your checkbook AND your appointment book reflected EXACTLY what your 'list' conveyed?

a-ha... that's the challenge, isn't it?

I suppose our goal in life should be to make our 'books' match our 'list'.

I can guarantee this: if you don't make a daily effort to match the books to the list, the list will definitely change to match the books. I promise.

Pray right now for God's guidance and leading to make your books match your list. Without His intervention, the urgent will rule.... and the important will not be important anymore.

Blessings!

2 comments:

Joy said...

It truly disgusts me that I continually need to be reminded of this. but thank you! It is so easy to fill our time with, not necessarily bad things, they could even be good things, but not the most important stuff either.
did you ever wonder if we do that in our worship time together? I mean, do we keep the same set of priorities? Just a thought.
Love you and appreciate you. Hug your wife for me!

Anonymous said...

very good! we sould all try to #5 at #4
stan