Monday, August 10, 2009

Pure Silver

25 years ago today (it was a Friday in 1984, by the way), Kelly Crawford and I exchanged vows.

Dad presided, and a couple hundred friends attended the evening wedding.

Besides the obvious memories (I still marvel that she said 'yes' being the most remarkable memory), there are a few quirky ones that come to mind when I think back to that magical day.
  • it was HOT! I mean, August 10 in Arkansas, right?
  • Kelly was HOT! I mean, the most beautiful girl to ever put on a white dress - or any other-colored dress, for that matter! (some things never change) I remember how my breath actually caught in my throat when the back doors opened and she walked through. wow.
  • the reception was at Ramada (because our church wouldn't allow instrumental music on the grounds anywhere) and it was an awesome affair with lots of food and music! but we didn't get any of those really really good fried stuffed mushrooms... (probably will have a couple or 10 tonight!)
  • my friend who was in charge of pulling the roll of rice paper down the aisle for Kelly to walk on accidentally hit one of the glass candle holders with his shoulder... it knocked the candle against its glass holder... and about 15 minutes later, it had heated the glass to whatever temperature glass requires to shatter. and it did. all over the mother of the bride!
  • the afore-mentioned mother of the bride recorded 'Agnes of God' (yes, that horrible Streisand movie) over our only copy of the wedding video... she will likely still deny she did this. but she did, no kidding.
  • I sang 'Truly' by Lionel Richie to Kelly... she had forgotten I was gonna sing, and it took her by complete surprise! she and all 5 of her bridesmaids were weeping... still wondering if they were touched or if I really sang that badly!
  • we drove momma and daddy's Cadillac away as people showered us with rice and such... all the way to Kelly's dad's shop, where we had hidden our 1980 VW Rabbit (my dowry), which we drove to Little Rock, then Destin for our honeymoon.

there are other more memorable thoughts which I will keep between Kelly and me... but will never forget.

25 years. wow.

still my very best friend. still my very favorite person. still the best momma ever. still takes my breath away every time I see her. still stunningly beautiful - inside AND out.

I can't believe God chose to bless me with her.

still.

2 comments:

stan johnson said...

Congrats brother tim and sister kelly. We moved to Mt Home 24 years ago this wknd were did it go

Joy said...

Felicidades!!!! You better keep being such a romantic - I have Lynn taking notes! Love you both, and hope you have at least 25 more!