Thursday, January 3, 2008

Vision's number 1 enemy

I love to laugh... a lot. I like funny things... My whole family is a group of laughers.

Our brand of humor employs sarcasm sometimes... and that's ok, to a point. But as I begin this new year, it has become clear to me that sarcasm is a second cousin to cynicism, and cynicism is the number one enemy of vision...

I'm sure I will continue to find humor in sarcasm, but I am determined to be careful that it not cross the line and become cynical...

In Matthew's gospel, Jesus is quoted as saying:


"...unless you change and become like little children,
you will never enter the kingdom of heaven..."

that's pretty clear, right? So I want to be child like without being childish... and one of the most definitive and endearing qualities of a child is wide-eyed gullibility. The complete lack of cynicism...

you see, we need more people with more vision in the Kingdom... and fewer people who sit back and accept and defend status quo and take swipes at those who are trying to affect positive change.

We need more folks who will swim upstream with the Spirit, and fewer cynics who just want to ride along, downstream on the current.

and vision's number one enemy is cynicism... being cynical is a vision killer!

So in 2008, I resolve to be less cynical and more wide-eyed... to give people the benefit of the doubt... 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 678th chances. To pay attention to the still quiet voice of God and the leading of His Spirit...

And to believe.

God Bless!

No comments: