Wednesday, February 13, 2008

fighting for a legacy

As I watch Superstar Pitcher Roger Clemens battle those accusing him of using performance-enhancing drugs, I am struck by what I perceive to be going on...

I watch contrived video 'proof' of his incredible work ethic (working out in his home gym with a trainer) and am inundated with the repeating video loop of him walking down the halls of some courtroom... and I believe I am watching an intense battle.

The battle he is waging is not for money, necessarily; he has made his fortune... he is in the twilight of his career... the battle is not for respect, necessarily; I don't think that matters much to him... the battle, quite simply, is for his legacy.

He is intimately familiar (aren't we all) with Pete Rose' journey to restore his own legacy... we have all watched and winced as the all-time hits leader lies and comes clean, only to repeat that pattern over and over...

And the Rocket is trying not to make the same missteps as Rose.

I have my own opinions about HGH and performance enhancing substances... maybe for another time...

But I wonder how many of us are in the same type of battle. How many of us are struggling mightily to restore our credit... or our reputation... or our name.

I know I have made more than my share of mistakes... and I've decided life is, in a way, a continual struggle to preserve and restore your name.

I understand that the Proverb says that 'a good name is better than riches', and we must do our very best to preserve ours.

But the name I want to protect and preserve and restore more than any other is the name of Jesus. For in that name (and in no other) will we be saved (Acts 4:12)...

Last week the local paper told of a guy who had been arrested for writing hot checks... he shares my name. His middle initial is 'S' and mine is 'L', but some folks thought it was me... It was a weird feeling... my name was smeared, at least in the eyes of some...

I wonder how our Savior feels when we, who share and wear His name, bring shame on it? I know He forgives me, and I thank God everyday that He does... but we certainly should aspire to wear His name in a worthy way... a way which insures and enriches not only our own legacy, but His.

just a thought...

Blessings

No comments: