Saturday, April 12, 2008

God on American Idol

Wow! That was my first response as I watched American Idol's opening number Thursday night... OK, 'Wow" and then chill bumps on my arms and then tears rolling down my face.

As the 8 remaining contestants took the stage Thursday night (with 39 million viewers watching worldwide), they stood and exhorted the vast audience to 'shout to the Lord'. Wikipedia recorded the event this way:

The top 8 American Idol Season 7 contestants closed the "Idol Gives Back" show performing Shout to the Lord. They changed the word "Jesus" to "Shepherd". The following evening, on April 10, 2008, the American Idol Top 8 again performed Shout to the Lord. This time, the word "Jesus" was placed back into the song. A recorded version of Shout to the Lord, sang by the Top 8, was also posted for sale on iTunes. It, too, had the word "Jesus" in it.

I wonder if Darlene Zschech could have ever imagined so many people being touched by one of her songs back in the days when she was singing jingles for McDonald's and KFC... or if this lovely Christian woman (a worship leader at her church in Sydney, Australia) could ever have dreamed that, in one night, dozens of millions of unbelievers (and believers) would have been encouraged to 'shout to the Lord'...

"My Jesus, My Savior Lord there is none like You
All of my days, I want to praise
The wonders of Your mighty love
My Comfort, My Shelter Tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am Never cease to worship You
Shout to the Lord, all the earth Let us sing.
Power and majesty, praise to the King.
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name
I sing for joy at the work of Your hands
Forever I'll love you, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in YOU!"

If it does nothing else, let this serve as a reminder that God is in control... and that he will use whatever means or methods he chooses to lift up His Son and draw people to Him!

Wow! I am so small, and such an unimaginative dreamer...

I need to pray and dream and believe.... BIGGER!

how 'bout you?

1 comment:

Dillion Mincey said...

It was an amazing preformance. Had chill bumps all night. Very, very powerful.