Wednesday, October 28, 2009

facebookless

I deactivated my Facebook yesterday.

I have struggled with what exactly this thing called Facebook is.... and finally decided that, for me, it is an unhealthy timewaster. at least.... (at most it feels a little like voyeurism...) sorry to all you Facebookers... if it is not that for you, then cool! ...if you love your Facebook, God bless ya'!

The questions I had to ask myself surrounded the old cost/benefit analysis...

what does Facebook cost me and what does it give me?

yeah, I know it's 'free'... I mean what does it cost me in time and mental energy and, well, what does it do to me spiritually and emotionally?

and what does it benefit me?

"Oh, I can keep in touch with ALL my friends!!!"

really?

at least half my 'friends' on Facebook are people I barely know! My real life friends have my email and my cell phone number... they know where I live.

old-fashioned? maybe... but I don't think so... I am a gadget-technology freak!

OK, I'll stop preaching... every one has to do what they gotta do...

I know Facebook is not some evil communist godless plot! I understand that it, like many things on the 'net, are morally neutral...

I am just explaining that I am facebookless now....

nothing horrible happened... I wasn't abducted by kidnappers or aliens.... I didn't get my identity stolen.... and, please stop asking me why I 'de-friended' you! I didn't!

I just deactivated my Facebook account....

if, for you, it is not a timewaster.... if it is not a negative influence for you... go for it!

If you need to talk to me, call or text or email or, for crying out loud, stop by the house!!!

Blessings!

3 comments:

Joy said...

so, Brother, how much time were you spending with it? I look at it a maximum of an hour a week, generally much less, and I don't really have a problem with that, but I know of people who sit with it day in and day out, and that is problematic!
btw, a new book really caught my attention, if you haven't read it - The Servant Driven church by Ray Fulenwider. Lynn is reading it now, and the parts he has read to me are pretty spot-on!

Love you, facebookless and all!
joy

Tim said...

not much, really... but an hour or so a week for me is not good... in your remote situation, I would DEFINITELY have it! :-)

Evans Family Adoption said...

I sooooo agree with you on this! Haven't been on mine in quite a while. Not saying it is all bad but for me it seems a little ridiculous. Our world of communication is becoming our downfall in many ways! Can't even start on that....way too much to say! Bless you!