Monday, October 19, 2009

paralyzing fear

there are a lot of things fear will do for you.

God wired your body so that fear (or more specifically, immediate danger) triggers a response in your adrenal gland that we have come to call the 'fight or flight' hormone.

action is required, so your body is flooded with adrenaline to equip you to run away fast or vanquish the attacker.

But sometimes we neither fight nor flee. we freeze. I have read accounts of this phenomenon... in battle and in the wild... and in every case, the attacked becomes the victim. and usually dies.

within organizations, I have rarely seen fight or flight... I sometimes wish that were not the case...

instead, when we are afraid as a group, we become paralyzed. We do nothing.

too fearful to make a wrong move, we simply stand still.

and when churches are paralyzed by fear, they die.

I suppose I am not advocating that we be in a constant state of flux... and I don't guess I would want for us to always have adrenaline pumping through our collective veins...

but I am quite convinced that God does not wish for us to settle into rote and habit and routine, and I believe that He wants us to be unafraid... I am Biblically Certain that He did NOT give us a spirit of fear. (Rom 8:15)

God Bless us as we Claim His Promise and live up to His Expectation!

No comments: