Thursday, April 19, 2007

Is His Grace Sufficient?

I was raised in the church of Christ; I am extremely grateful and indebted to mom and dad for teaching me some very good habits, like attending worship 'every time the saints met'... however, in my 'church' experience, there was a lot of attention paid to what we do with regard to our salvation, and not very much attention paid to what Jesus does...

It has always bothered me that we didn't talk much about the grace of God, but we talked a lot about doing right, being good, attending church, worshiping correctly, etc. I listened to sermon after sermon on our works, and was exposed to very little preaching about God's grace. I sat in Bible class after Bible class and listened to teachers talk about what I was supposed to do, and heard very little about the indwelling and guidance of the Holy Spirit.

While I am very thankful that I was 'brought up in the church', I sometimes wonder what it would be like to teach the next generation about God's grace, Christ's sacrifice, and the Spirit's leading...

I know this: there are many of my generation who were brought up in "their daddy's church" who are now asking the question, "Is this it?" ...Is it about going to church, or doing church... is it all about legislating how we worship and condemning those who don't do it like we do"?

Speaking about my own background in the church of Christ fellowship, it seems we have 'boiled IT down' to just that... and it makes me sad...because I am convinced that God did not sacrifice his only Son so we can argue about unimportant matters. When we do, Satan wins.... period.

For me it comes down to one question: Is His Grace Sufficient? Either it is or it isn't...

...so I always try to remember:
If I am saved, it is because God rescued me, not because I learned to swim!

Blessings!

No comments: