Friday, October 12, 2007

How do we handle conflict? (part 2)

Traditions and our treatment of Biblical silence will sometimes be the subject of our congregational conflict...

And I admit that we will sometimes disagree on the very question of whether something is tradition or scripture... and that's ok, too.

Here's an example: the more I study, the more I come to the conclusion that our acapella singing in our worship assembly is a tradition. There are many of my brothers and sisters (most of them more studied than I) who strongly disagree (that is a very deep discussion perhaps for another blog).

My point is this -I LOVE our acapella tradition! I think it is a very very healthy tradition! My worship seems to be more meaningful and real to me when there are no instruments 'in the way'... and I would NEVER suggest that we abandon our acapella singing! And, if the congregation where I worship decides to use instruments during worship, I have a decision to make... BUT I refuse to try and defend my traditional position by replacing Biblical Silence with my own understanding (as we have for decades) just to make my point!

OK, here's a less controversial (to some) tradition: for my whole life, we have served the Lord's Supper from the front of the auditorium... for decades, men have marched in lockstep formation down the aisles to stand at attention on the stage while someone ceremonially passes the predesignated number of plates of unleavened bread to each man... (in some congregations, mommas will buy a new suit for their young sons - once they have been baptized - to wear for their first time to serve 'on the table')

I believe that is a tradition of man. I happen to think it places the focus of our communion service on the men serving instead of on the GodMan who died for us and rose on the third day. We now serve communion from the back of the auditorium... it's not a big deal, but it is not the traditional way of doing it...

At another recent assembly, the preacher asked if the elders would gather at the back of the auditorium to receive those who responded to the invitation at the end of the lesson (instead of our traditional habit of our shepherds standing at the front)... afterwards, one precious sister was overheard to say "I don't think that's right... doesn't the Bible say we're supposed to 'come forward' when we respond to the invitation song?" (a great example of blurring the line between tradition and Biblical truth)

My point is this... we must be careful in our treatment of tradition. If it is important enough to the group that a tradition remain in place, that's fine... as long as that tradition doesn't turn into traditionalism and hinder the mission of the church...

If a member believes some traditions are potentially harmful to our mission as a church, they should say so... and if the group decides to hang on that tradition anyway, that member will have some choices to make (see list in previous post)...

I implore us all to react well... may we resolve NOT to incite others to agree with us... let us resolve NOT to scream and cry until we get our way... let us all try our best to act with humility (a daily struggle for me) and either work through the issues or bear up and shut up and get over it.

Above all, may we open the Bible and study it anew (without trying to 'proof' our long-held beliefs) so that we can truly know God's will for our lives...

May God's Holy Spirit always guide us as we grow and react... properly.

Blessings!

No comments: