Monday, October 8, 2007

Rick Bell

For those who knew Rick, you realize we lost a hero Saturday night. I don't know if his name is on any plaques or if his likeness has been preserved in bronze anywhere... I doubt it.

That is not the kind of hero he was. He was an everyday hero... a wonderful, flawed, happy, broken, contented, forgiven man who loved his family and loved his Savior.

For the past couple weeks, he has been slipping slowly from this world... His lovely wife Kim has kept us all up to date on his transition from this life to the next. I have checked his blog every few hours since I learned of its existence...

So, Sunday morning when I woke up and logged on, I saw Kim's post from 11:37 the night before... It read:

"At 10:45pm, Rick left us to be with the Lord...
It was quiet and so very peaceful for him.
That was an answer to prayer.
He was surrounded by his family as he left this world.
God is good."

...and I wept. Because I am a selfish person.

Rick and I were not best friends... but he and Kim were so lovingly transparent during this whole process, I think many of us felt a real kinship... and he taught me a really important lesson: we talk and preach so much about how to live... but we rarely talk about how to die...

After Rick was diagnosed with Glioblastoma Mulltiforme Grade IV brain cancer only a few months ago, this man of great courage made a prayerful decision NOT to take the normal treatments to try to hang on to this life... I know that's a very personal decision... but because he chose to enjoy the remaining days of his life as he prepared to go home, I have a better view of that journey... and I am moved beyond words that he and Kim opened up and shared that with me. I am forever in his debt for selflessly showing me how to die.

I am reminded of the song Bart Millard (Mercy Me) wrote after his daddy passed; these words really help me when I think about losing my mom to cancer 11 years ago this month. As I thought about the lyrics to the song "Homesick", my tears changed from sadness to incredible, inexplicable joy:

You're in a better place, I've heard a thousand times
And at least a thousand times I've rejoiced for you
But the reason why I'm broken, the reason why I cry
Is how long must I wait to be with you
I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

Thank you, Rick and Kim. You are my heroes.

No comments: