Monday, October 6, 2008

understanding prayer

I just love it when we humans act like we have something figured out... my own arrogance about such is astounding!

We live in the world of possible and serve the God of the impossible. Yet we are so enamored of our intelligence and understanding... I think I have it all learned and then God puts someone or something in my path as a gentle reminder that I don't know jack!

God said through Isaiah: "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts"

I had one of those "My Ways are Higher" moments last night...

during our life group discussion, a very earnest seeker made the comment that he was not sure if or how prayer works... for those of us who consider ourselves somewhat studied (see, can't you just smell my arrogance), it was a little offensive... so we trotted out the 'usual suspects' like Paul to remind us that 'the effectual prayer of a righteous man availeth much' (notice the KJV condescension?) and 'all things work together for good for those that love the Lord and are called according to His promise'...

then we quietly congratulated ourselves on having those - and other - Bible verses at the ready for just such an occasion...

meanwhile, the earnest seeker humbly asked us for proof...

how come your momma died (asked the seeker) when you prayed so hard for her to be healed?

why did your friends' marriage dissolve after counseling and praying and asking God to make it right?

aren't you righteous? aren't your prayers effectual?

well, that stopped me...

my only answer (and I admit it's lame and theoretical) is that we cannot see the big picture... and God can. We see only our eensy teensy little bitty speck of the monstrous mosaic which God is painting... and maybe someday He will reveal the how and why... (told you it was lame)

All I know (really) is that we have to "trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding"...

beyond that, I have very few answers.

and I feel really really small... and that's really really ok... because I serve the God who sees it all and knows it all.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Cheek said...

wow-that's powerful. esc