Tuesday, December 9, 2008

History Lesson

I love history... and I know that makes me a nerd. I like reading and watching and learning about most all periods of history....

My favorite movies include historical 'fiction', like "Braveheart", "Saving Private Ryan", "The Patriot", "the Blue and the Gray", "We Were Soldiers" and perhaps my very favorite is the HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers"... (ok, there's a war theme emerging... or a Mel Gibson affinity... not sure what that means)

Perhaps the most intriguing of all 'stories' is the story of His Church. ...and maybe the reason it's so interesting to me is that it is THE story of all time... literally. The recorded story of God's people - His Church (the ecclesia - called out) - begins with Genesis and, well...

continues with you and me today.


The most striking era in this story involves God incarnate. Because while the story is very interesting from Genesis to Malachi, it gets REALLY GOOD when God becomes man and lives among us.... then it starts to get really unbelievable...

for most of us, the most important part of the story is the part which includes us!

and since someone way smarter than me once observed that those who "ignore history are doomed to repeat it", I submit that it is of paramount import that we pay attention!

So as you endeavor to grow and learn and stretch, it would seem prudent that you learn from your own past...

For instance: If, historically speaking, I am in a better 'place' spiritually when I am, say, giving to others rather than thinking of myself, maybe 'history' would suggest that I daily remember to do something for someone else...

...or if I remember that I am less 'happy' and in tune with God when I hang out with this person or that group, perhaps history is suggesting that I not spend time with those folks...

Similarly, our local churches should do the same...

If we, as a local fellowship, are vibrant and happy and most useful to God when we are open to being challenged... then why wouldn't we ALWAYS endeavor to be open and challenged? why would we ever be 'closed' and unchallenged?

if your most treasured memories of your congregation involve times of transition and growth... then wouldn't you yearn for times of change and stretching? why would you ever seek or accept the status quo?

if, when you remember the most joyful time in your congregation's history, and that cherished memory involved a time when things were not altogether calm or smooth... wouldn't it make sense to almost flee from 'calm and smooth'?

if routine and sameness and stagnation are the natural opposites of excitement and movement and change, then why would you now crave the former and not the latter?

Why don't we, instead, crave and seek the MOVEMENT of HIS SPIRIT?
If most churches are a stagnant pond instead of a raging river, it's largely because they forgot their history....

His Holy Spirit wants to MOVE in us. His Spirit seeks to stir us up to action. He does NOT operate best in a calm, serene, stagnant pool of 'status quo'... and when we crave routine and calm and sameness, we are quenching God's Spirit... plain and simple.

Blessings!

No comments: