Monday, December 15, 2008

the message

so what's the message?

Sometimes when First Day sings, Devin introduces one of our songs by saying something like this:

"we get to sing for lots of different audiences.... so what is THE message we want to leave with them?"

then we sing 3:16, a song Bruce composed which essentially puts music to the most famous verse of the whole Bible...

I wonder sometimes if it wouldn't make sense for us to give thought to the same question in our day-to-day....

all the people I come into contact with.... what is the message I want to 'leave' with them today?

I am sort of a student of behavior... not nearly as observant as I should be, but somewhat aware nonetheless...

so if one could infer from another's behavior that they are trying to 'leave a message', what message would one see? ...or more personally, what message would the casual observer 'get' from my behavior?

So I thought about it... and I retraced my steps and my actions from 'a day in the life' of me... just to see...

and here are the 'messages' I conveyed:
  • I'm in a hurry
  • My time is more important than yours
  • I know more than you do
  • What I have to say is really really important, and what you have to say is, well, not so much
  • I'm materialistic
  • I have an inordinate love of food
  • I am proud and arrogant
  • I think I'm 'all that and a bag of chips'

wow. that was harsh. and insightful. and revealing. and true.

and really really disappointing... 'cause here's what I wanted to convey:

  • I'm sold out to Jesus, and He rules my life

what message do you send?

God Bless!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Cheek said...

thats good stuff Tim. thank you for your insight!esc

Elizabeth Cheek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.