Sunday, April 19, 2009

the day George went home

I didn't know him well. I sang in a group for 5 years with his eldest son... and if the son's life is any sort of reflection of his daddy's, George was pretty doggone special.

But I believe a lot of people knew that.

OK, here' a crass observation about funerals: the older the person in the casket, the smaller the crowd...

When my grandma died, she was 92 years old. Very beloved, very renowned (at least in her little town), well-respected, popular... but it was a relatively small funeral.

When the family walked down the aisle at Momma's funeral, it felt like the auditorium was standing-room-only... over 300 people at my mother's service. She was 61.

My point is this: it seems that when a 85-year-old person dies, the number of 'friends and acquaintances' who are still alive is necessarily smaller than that of a 50-year-old....

OK, sorry, I said it was crass. but it seems to be true...

But here's the deal: George had celebrated his 88th birthday a couple months before he died.... but when I walked into his funeral service last Thursday, there were almost 200 people already there! and that was before the family of 130 was seated!

to say he was beloved is a terrible understatement! and THAT'S what I am trying to say with this less-than-delicate post....

George was beloved and will be missed. very much.

And the best part is this: for every dozen people mourning his death on this side, there are a hundred angels on the other side welcoming him Home!

while we cry, they party!

..... because George is finally Home!

my thoughts are with Fran and Dale and Eden and David and Terri and all the family members. My prayer is that each will remember Mr George Cowart with a smile... and that each will remember that he is very very happy indeed to be enjoying Heaven's Splendor!

No comments: