Wednesday, April 1, 2009

no April foolin'

My friend Jimmy Wingard texted me this morning.... a three word message:

Pelphrey to Memphis

I shot back a quick text asking if Calipari took the Kentucky job.... then came Wingding's reply:

April Fools!

what a funny man....

but it made me think... how many times have we treated God's gift of salvation like a cruel April Fools' joke?

in my growing up, I was taught that perfection should be sought.... but that perfection could never be realized... How messed up is that??!?!? (of course, back in the day, that was the way Christian parents convinced their young-uns they should behave... a second cousin, by the way, to: "be good, God is watching you!")

This sort of 'doctrine' is bound to instill fear and uncertainty in Believers everywhere; I'm convinced that this type of 'hide and seek' teaching is responsible for so many neuroses suffered by adult Christians today! Are we surprised?

The more I think about it, sometimes I wonder if we all have such a screwed up version of God that we need to have a 'Bible lobotomy' and start from scratch... so we can learn it right! so we can begin to glimpse the true nature of God and His truly amazing grace... (myself at the top of the list, by the way...)

I used to have a boss that liked to say "I'd rather hire a novice than a pro... because most pros have learned the wrong way to do things, and it's easier to train than to un-train and re-train." Probably some wisdom there... but I digress (big surprise!)

let me urge us all to not 'pass along' our unhealthy "God-views" to our kiddos... for instance, let us vow to NOT teach them that the Bible Story is ALL ABOUT US... but rather that we are all a part of God's greater story, one that continues to unfold...

Thank God for His mercy and unfailing Grace... and thank God for NOT playin' "April Fools" with His Children!

Blessings!

oh, and by the way... no truth to the Pelphrey thing.... I don't think.....