Wednesday, April 22, 2009

for such a time as this

Carrie Prejean is now officially a household name.

She is Miss California and, as most folks have heard by now, she caused quite a stir at the Miss USA pageant last week when she responded to a judge's question...

Asked judge Perez Hilton to Prejean, “Vermont recently became the 4th state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit. Why or why not?”

“Well I think its great that Americans are able to choose one or the other,” Carrie answered. “We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there but that’s how I was raised and that’s how I think it should be between a man and a woman. Thank you very much.”

that earned her a mixed response from the audience. Boos followed by applause.

Perez - the openly homosexual judge who asked her the question (intentionally setting her up) then blasted her on his video blog calling it the “worst answer in pageant history.” He also made comments that he has since apologized for.

The directors of the Miss California pageant condemned her answer on Monday morning.
“As co-executive director of Miss CA USA and one of the leaders of the Miss CA family, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss CA USA 2009 believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman,” wrote Keith Lewis on Hilton’s blog. “Although I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit, I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone. Religious beliefs have no place in politics in the Miss CA family.”

Does she regret the answer? Not at all. “I was raised in a way that you can never compromise your beliefs and your opinions for anything,” she told one reporter.

most observers and insiders agree: “She lost it because of that question. She was definitely the front-runner before that,” Hilton told ABC News.

“It did cost me my crown,” Miss California concurred. “but I wouldn’t have had it any other way. I said what I feel. I stated an opinion that was true to myself and that’s all I can do.”

We live in a time similar to the Days of Jeremiah (6:14-16) when folks mocked God and scoffed at the notion of chastisement for sin:

"They have healed the brokenness of My people superficially,
saying, 'Peace, peace,' But there is no peace.
Were they ashamed because of the abomination they have done?
They were not even ashamed at all;
They did not even know how to blush.
Therefore they shall fall among those who fall;
At the time that I punish them,
They shall be cast down," says the LORD.
Thus says the LORD, "Stand by the ways
and see and ask for the ancient paths,
where the good way is, and walk in it;
and you will find rest for your souls.
But they said, 'We will not walk in it.'"

we live in a time like those in the days of King Xerxes, who took a similarly beautiful young girl named Esther to be his queen... soon afterwards the king's evil lieutenant Haman hatched a plot to kill Mordecai the jew (who happened to be Esther's cousin), by getting the king to sign a decree which called for the extermination of the jewish race... (at the time, the king was unaware that his queen was a jew)

When Mordecai sent word to his cousin queen, she at first did nothing....

but his message back to her was such a chilling and challenging indictment, she risked her very life to save her people....

so for those of us who sit idly by and watch this and other assaults on our very Christianity, I would encourage us each to heed the words spoken 5000 years ago by a man whose existence was similarly threatened:

"Do not think that because you are in the
king's house you alone of all the Jews will escape.
For if you remain silent at this time,
relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place,
but you and your father's family will perish.
And who knows but that you have come to royal position
for such a time as this?"

I don't know anything more than you do about Carrie Prejean; but I know God gave her 'esther-like' strength to stand up as just such a time...

so, what will it take for you? what will it take for me? to finally stand up...

when will your 'time' be? (hint: probably won't be on the Miss USA stage with 20 million people watching...)

No comments: