Monday, April 13, 2009

straight lines

I like things in order. I like spreadsheets and lists and contact management systems... I like rules and following them... I like.... organized things.

not a big fan of chaos... it makes me nervous and uneasy.

That's why living in the Spirit is so strange and uncomfortable for me.

If I had been an Israelite following Moses across the wilderness, I probably would have been the first one to complain about the freedom.... and I likely would have led the grousing and murmuring about 'how nice the weather was in Egypt'.

Are you like that? are you a straightline addict? I am a recovering organizajunkie... because I am committed to living in His will... and, frankly, I am scared that the same traits which make me love and crave organization serve as a barrier to following His path for my life...

paths are funny things, right? In order to fully appreciate 'em, you gotta look at 'em backwards...

and as I look back at the path I've traveled, it is quite curvy and circuitous.... and in many ways very different than I had planned. yeah, looking back, there were times of focus and seasons of wandering; periods of darkness and eras of whitehot spiritual euphoria. All, I believe, part of the path He has led me on...

So I guess my best advice for me and the rest of us similarly afflicted organizaholics is this: be patient and embrace the journey.... love the fact that God is in control... and learn to enjoy the path. even when you are wandering in the wilderness....

Blessings

2 comments:

Joy said...

amen, and thank you!!!!
It is really good to hear your thoughts!

stan johnson said...

mom the gardner was always planting flowers I was continually complaining about the obstacles. until i finished and looked back, nothing prettier than mowed grass and well placed flowers by the master gardner.

good thoughts tim