Monday, December 3, 2007

Be consistent

I have a friend who is one cool customer. He just doesn't get riled. Nothing seems to bother him.... he is very passionate about God and his family and his work... but he is so...

level.

I admire that about him. Because of all the Christian virtues we should possess, 'levelness' may be at the top of the list. At least it is the one which is most difficult for me to attain....

I mean this guy got cut off in traffic once when I was riding with him, and he didn't react... at all... he swerved and braked and avoided a collision, but he didn't scream or curse or fly the single finger salute or tailgate or anything! He just continued our conversation as if nothing had happened...

amazing.

That is so different from me. And it's not for lack of trying... I try very hard to be level.... and usually fail miserably.

One time this same guy got a call from his daughter that she had been in an accident... he calmly asked if she was OK, then we climbed in his truck and went to the intersection where she had accidentally hit another vehicle. I bet his blood pressure never got above 110 over 75...

I know Jesus got angry... I know He was passionate... but, perhaps more than anything, He was 'level'.

Think of all the times Jesus could have reacted with vitriol or hatred or sarcasm or ugliness... (yeah, about every one of His encounters we read about would qualify). Yet he reacted... well.

So that is my prayer for me... and us. That we react properly... because that may be the most 'Christ-like' attribute which most of us miss altogether.

Blessings!

No comments: