Tuesday, December 4, 2007

the ongoing work of the cross

I have talked a lot about the work of salvation, and I have talked about it in the past tense. I have said (and written) things like "Jesus did the work of salvation once and for all on the cross".

I repent of that. Because the Spirit revealed to me something I was missing. It is a small thing, really... but so important.

Oh, I understand that the Christ died on the cross once and for all... I know it is an historical fact that a man named Jesus walked on the earth with us and was murdered on a Roman cross. Furthermore, I understand there is really nothing I can do to earn or gain salvation... I suppose (in that sense) the 'work' is done...

But the reason I will never again refer to the work of the cross in the past tense is this:

the 'work' of the cross continues day to day!

Not only in the sense that new people come to Jesus every day... that is wonderful and amazing and terrific... but that His redeeming work on the cross continually changes me... it doesn't just save me (though that is awesome enough by itself)... it transforms me... heals me... tempers me.... every day!

Think of the way Peter describes Christ's blood sacrifice:

"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another,
and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin."

and here's the 'small thing': note the last verb in the passage.... the one which assigns the 'action' to Jesus' blood...

"purifies"

The New American Standard version interprets the word for 'purifies' as 'cleanses'... the Message uses 'purges'... the KJV, 'cleanseth'... the Amplified Bible = 'removes'... and though our english language does not lend itself perfectly to translating the idea conveyed in the original greek writing of this text, the words above get pretty close...

So, do you notice what I noticed? My daughter's english teacher Mrs Brantly would call this kind of verb one of "progressive tense". And that's what really hit me between the eyes:

The Blood of Christ works progressively!

Don't you love that? It keeps on cleaning and purifying, continues to purge and wash and remove...

Christ's crosswork is ongoing!

Praise God! HE saved me.... and continues to rescue and cleanse, to purge and purify!

Wow.

No comments: