Monday, December 10, 2007

not Superstitious - just a little 'stitious'

I am a closet fan of the NBC show 'the Office' ... ok, not so much a closet fan... I think it's funny and well-written...

Anyhow, Michael Scott (played by Steve Carrell), the district manager of the fictitious Scranton branch of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company, had a great line in a recent Office episode.

When asked if he was superstitious, he replied "...no, I don't consider myself superstitious... just a little stitious, maybe..."

oh, well...it struck me as humorous...

and it reminded me of how I sometimes feel this time of year... not overwhelmed, really... just a little 'whelmed', maybe.

I have heard pro baseball players interviewed during a hitting streak; and sometimes they will describe how they feel in the batter's box: "I am 'seeing the ball well'"... or the baseball seems "as big as a beach ball coming up there".... similarly, pro football players sometimes describe how it feels to play at their best: "it's like it's all happening in slow motion, but I am moving at hyper speed!"

Anyhow, I have been 'in that zone' in some parts of my life before... where I feel like I am superman and can handle anything... and I feel like Neo Anderson in 'the Matrix'. I see everything in high definition slow motion as life comes at me...

But this time of year, I occasionally feel the opposite. Just a bit 'whelmed'.

Have you ever felt like that? ...everything coming at you at double speed? ...time moving too fast... too many people needing too much of you...

And it's at times like this I have to force myself to slow down and relax and really really remember that God is in control... and that the things most folks value highly this time of year are not necessarily the things which should be important to me...

This time of year, above all, should be spent enjoying family and friends.

And it is when I overlay the hecticness of this time of year with that perspective that my life.... becomes... sort of...

slow motion high definition...

Blessings!

No comments: