Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Non-Negotiables

OK, I've given it some thought (my main thought is that this MUST stand up to scriptural scrutiny)... it is still a work in progress, not because I am wavering or uncertain, only because I have never written it down... but here goes:

Here are my non-negotiable 'I Believe' statements:

  1. I believe the Bible is the inspired word of God - period.
  2. I believe the Bible is the true, complete and literal story of God creating everything (including mankind), and that its overarching theme - from Genesis to Revelation - is that of fallen man being reconciled to the God who created him.
  3. I believe God sent His only Son Jesus (via a miraculous virgin birth) as the centerpiece of this story - to live among mankind and die on a cross to save him from his sins
  4. I believe that, during His ministry, Christ set the 'template' for His followers. He helped people when He found them in need, miraculously healed people who were sick, and gave His followers the spiritual tools to tell His story to every person in the world after His death.
  5. I believe Jesus was brutally tortured and executed by crucifixion, then was raised from the grave on the third day after He was killed.
  6. I believe He left the Holy Spirit as comforter and helper for His followers.
  7. I believe Jesus ascended into Heaven, where He sits on God's right hand beside the throne.
  8. I believe that, during His absence, He wants us to try to imitate Him and tell His story to everybody.
  9. I believe Jesus will return one day to gather His people and deliver them to heaven to live with Him forever.

OK, that's a start... I think I can say this: if you believe these things, I am your brother. If you don't, I still love you... I want to study with you.... but my goal will be to convince you of these truths...

Will we agree on everything else? Not likely... but these are 'hills to die on' for me... please feel free to comment back and challenge or add or subtract.... it may make for really good discussion!

May God Bless us as we always try to follow Him.

No comments: