Saturday, March 1, 2008

quiet worker

Those of you who know me realize I am usually not a quiet person.

Last night about 300 people gathered to celebrate the spirit of community which has been on display since the February 5 tornado devastated the town of Gassville... The Cotter High School Band performed, then Roger Smith shared a couple very moving stories of loss and help and triumph... then a terrific video (produced by Robert Hoffmann) was shown while we passed the baskets for a love offering... First Day sang about a dozen songs as people truly celebrated the 'overcomer' spirit which is very much alive and well in our little community.

Because of the incredible generosity of the people here, $3,457 was raised... every penny of which will go directly to those who were affected by the storm. It was a loud, happy event... my favorite kind! It was a wonderful night!

But there is a person whom I must mention. She is not a performer. She is not loud. You may not notice her if you pass her in the grocery store, and you may not remember her if you visit Riverside for worship, though she's always there... because she is quiet.

Quiet is something, regrettably, I know very little about. But this most Christ-like person does... because day after day, week after week, and year after year, Bertha Benton does something many of us can't grasp: she quietly goes about doing good.

I know she does not want any attention, and I realize she would be mortified if she knew I had written this about her.... she doesn't want any acclaim or credit. That's her beauty. She truly just desires to do good. For my part, I like to do good, but (let's be honest) I kinda like it when people notice... don't you?

Well, for the last several weeks since the tornado, there have been literally hundreds of folks who have worked incredibly hard doing good to their neighbors... but Bertha stands out to me. She has been at the Riverside building every day, quietly preparing food and coffee, cooking and cleaning and serving and... just doing good. She always wears a genuine smile, and has a kind, quiet word of encouragement for every person she sees.

and that makes me smile. I am in awe of this woman... truly.

Blessings

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We in this family know that quiet worker. She is my aunt,my mom's sister, which in many ways all of the siblings are alike. I can tell you that her parents (my grandparents) played a big roll in the family values you see in Bertha. That is the core of all things good, family.