Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Christmas lights

So when my brother bought out dad's business, he moved it to the Industrial Park and sold the property beside daddy's house to the car lot next door.

for the last decade, Dad has transformed his property on Highway 62 SW into a winter wonderland... 20,000 Christmas lights, 3 huge inflatables - a Santa, a Snowman and a snow family - a dozen 'trees', 3 angels and a host of other various life size lighted holiday figures adorn his 5 acres every year...

It has become a staple of Christmas Joy in North Central Arkansas!

Well, for the last 5 years or so, his employees provided the 150 man hours required for the transformation... but this year, the business is not there... and neither are the employees!

He talked about abandoning the decorating and selling all the pieces, but too many people begged him not to...

so for the last 3 days, Daddy and I have strung lights and anchored inflatables and replaced bulbs and scaled his roof... and it has been 3 of the best days of my life.

I don't make the time I should to be with my dad... and the opportunity God provided this last 3 days will remain one of my best memories of me and him...

No, he's not going anywhere... he's healthier than me! And I will now make a better effort to find ways to spend time with him... but I am really happy we were able to be together - just me and him - for three days...

Miss Edna provided 3 sumptuous lunches to break up each day...

It was just... perfect!

If you are blessed with parents who are still with you on this earth, please find time in your busy schedule and just spend time with them.

There is no better investment.

Blessings!

No comments: