Wednesday, November 26, 2008

protests and perversion

I did not know Jimmy Clay, though I have friends who knew him...

On November 13, 25 year old Sergeant James M Clay was killed in an auto accident in Anbar Province, Iraq while serving as a member of the 224th maintenance company of the Army National Guard.

On November 23 his body was laid to rest in a local cemetery after a funeral service at a local church.

I didn't know him, but I owe him. He volunteered to serve and protect my freedom and yours, and I do not take that lightly...

While the procession was leaving the church building, several protesters from the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas held up signs with slogans like "God hates America"...

I understand that you and I will differ on war and its causes... we may disagree about how the U.S. got involved in Afghanistan, or whether our young men and women should be placed in harm's way in Iraq... we can argue about why our troops are where they are and how they got there...

but protesting the war at a fallen soldier's funeral seems like a new all-time low... and I don't understand. really? holding up signs on the side of the road so Jimmy's wife and precious, grieving family can see their hatred... showing their disdain for one more soldier who made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the very freedom they were enjoying on the side of that road.

for my part, people like that seem to have no concept of, nor appreciation for sacrifice. I for one would be happy to buy each of these ingrates a one-way ticket to any third-world country... I got no use for anyone who cannot at least understand what it takes to volunteer to lay down your life for your fellow man.

I have never served in the military. But I certainly have undying gratitude for anyone who dons the uniform of the United States of America.... especially a volunteer!

I realize our country is not perfect, and I, like you, sometimes wonder if 'we' are 'in the right'.

But I have been blessed with the opportunity to travel to 9 countries on 3 continents... and each of those trips - while enjoyable - shared one thing in common: when it was time to come home, I was happy to return to the greatest country on the planet.

Thank you, Jimmy Clay, for giving me the precious gift of freedom. The Bronze Star and The Distinguished Service Medal are small tokens indeed for your sacrifice.

As the Angels welcome you Home, may God be with your family and give them comfort. In the words of Abraham Lincoln,

"I pray that our Heavenly Father may
assuage the anguish of your bereavement,
and leave you only the cherished memory
of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride
that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice
upon the altar of freedom"

to the protesters... well, there are no famous quotes acknowledging heartless cowards...

so I'll just say this:

please leave. move to another country.
or just stay in Kansas, I don't care...
just stay away from our town...
you are not welcome here.

No comments: