Friday, September 14, 2007

Cost/Benefit Analysis of a Kind Word

I work for a software development company and, from time to time, I am asked to help determine the value of certain projects... and sometimes we have to prepare what is called a cost/benefit analysis to present to the CFO... it's just what it sounds like: we try to predict the costs associated with completing and supporting the idea, then we try to predict the sales revenue which will be generated from the idea... the difference between the predicted cost and the predicted revenue helps determine whether that project is worthwhile or not.

...so now that I have put you to sleep with that...

I wonder if we 'put a pencil to it', how would we feel about the cost/benefit ratio of a kind word?

As I wrote previously, two weeks ago a sister simply told this receptionist in an office that she was 'an angel' for the way she helped her... that receptionist was so moved by her words, she learned where the sister worshipped and showed up at Riverside for the last two Sundays!

This morning, I heard a guy tell the drive-thru girl at Mickey D's that she was doing an amazing job of moving the incredible amount of traffic through the dual-laned drive-thru... (meanwhile, I was jockeying for position and having less-than-good thoughts about the dude in the duelly monster truck pulling the 40-foot stock trailer who was taking up WAAAY too much room in the drive-thru...) Thankfully, I held my tongue, or I would have felt even more like a heel in comparison to the kind-hearted guy with the encouraging word.

Last Sunday morning, a brother stepped up and asked a new family to be a part of their life group... they accepted, they were the first ones to their house that night, and they now genuinely feel a part of the family!

I know, I know... we don't always see the results of the kindnesses we show to others... but it is most assuredly worth the effort!

How do I know it? Because the effort is usually sooo small... and the result is usually sooo awesome! If this were a 'business decision', the cost/benefit ratio (I hope you know I'm using the c/b analogy somewhat tongue-in-cheek) would lead all involved to support this project whole-heartedly... it's a virtual slam-dunk!

So, step out and do something kind for a stranger today... do it in the name of Jesus, the one who gave you life. The impact (and ripple effect) will be out of all proportion to the 'cost'...

I guarantee it!

Now go 'OUTFLOW'!

Blessings!

No comments: