Monday, September 17, 2007

fearless warriors in a picket fence

I have gone through my entire life trying to do what's right. As I have gotten older, I have also tried to do what's safe... and as time has gone on, I have confused the two. I got to the point where "safe" was substituted for "right".

And now I am convicted that safe and right are not the same thing. In fact, the more I examine the life of Jesus, I become more convinced that they are polar opposites! Think about it: Jesus always did what was right... and never 'played it safe'...

The new Casting Crowns CD (yes, that CD again) is entitled 'The Altar and the Door'... there is a song of the same name on the CD... but, according to Mark Hall (the author of the songs on this disc, and lead singer for the band), the title of the CD came from a single line in a different song on the CD... In 'Caught in the Middle', he uses that line to describe the disconnect between 'me' at the altar (in 'church') and 'me' at the door (out in the world)...

It's a great word picture!

But the four lines which really caught my ear were the lines of the chorus:

Fearless warriors in a picket fence
Reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
Deepwater faith in the shallow end
and I am caught in the middle

I heard that and thought "that's me!"... I have been a fearless warrior hiding behind my own picket fence! That describes a lot of us, I'm afraid...

picture it: an armor clad, sword-wielding, helmet-wearing warrior standing in his yard behind the picket fence... how useless and sad...

May we (I) have the courage to open the gate and walk out of our yards... and be true warriors for God!

God Bless us as we 'outflow' to everyone we come into contact with today...

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Thanks, brother! I also struggle with being all prepared ,and crying out when I see the opportunity just passed me by. Lord, help us to see what a difference we can make, and take the plunge!!
I truly appreciate your blogs, thanks!!!
joy