Thursday, June 5, 2008

bumps in the road (or deer)

So I'm all ready to 'retire' for the night last Tuesday, and my sister calls at about 10:30... since she's usually been sleeping for 2 hours by that time, I answered the phone quickly...

She tells me my older brother Greg is in the E.R at Baxter Regional after hitting a deer on his Harley Road King... not good!

When I got there, they still had him strapped to the back board with an IV and oxygen pumping into him, and he was in obvious agony. They decided that since he had multiple traumas they were going to take him by helicopter to Cox South in Springfield, Missouri 120 miles away... they are better equipped to deal with all the complications that can arise with a guy who has 6 broken ribs, a fractured pelvis, a broken nose, a broken collar bone, a broken shoulder blade and road rash...

When I got to Springfield, he was in a Trauma room and they had already done several tests and X-rays and CT Scans, and determined he was pretty busted up, but would likely recover fully.

He is conscious and aware of what happened and where he is, and he is carrying on lucid and meaningful conversations in between morphine-induced hazes.

And we are thankful.

I know it sounds really cliche, but it could have been worse.... a whole lot worse.

God's hand was on Greg. Only a few minutes after he and the deer collided, a lady in a white Escalade drove by and heard him yelling through her open window... and stopped and hauled my broken big brother into her SUV and took him to the hospital and delivered him to the E.R... Greg told me yesterday that she talked to him for the whole ride... I haven't been able to find this angel in the White Escalade, but I will... she certainly saved him a few hours of agony, and maybe even saved his life!

Thank you to the literally hundreds of people who have called and emailed... but especially I thank you for lifting Greg up to the Healer in prayer.

We covet your continued prayers... please pray for a speedy and complete recovery...

It will be a long and difficult road, but God will provide.

Blessings!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Know that our prayers are with all of you, especially Greg. You may remember that my sister, Janie (an ex-girlfriend of Greg's from High School days), had a serious motorcycle wreck last year from which she could not have recovered without God's intervention, thanks to prayers! Greg is in the hands of the Great Physician, and we know He will care for him!