Saturday, June 7, 2008

Riverside in Gassville goes to Riverside in Panama

Today's the day! Several of our brothers and sisters are on the road right now traveling to Volcan, Panama... Joy and Lynn and Ben anxiously await their arrival...

and I confess: I am very very jealous!

Ever since my first foreign mission trip to Vanuatu 11 years ago, I have been infected. And ever since Lynn and Joy took that incredibly faithful step to take their personal ministry to the people of Volcan, I have been envious.

Kelly and I have prayed and talked often about our personal ministry... and it may never involve a full time work like that of Lynn and Joy... but it won't keep us from thinking of them constantly; it won't stop me from living vicariously through them; and it won't stop us from traveling to be with them whenever we can!

Lynn and Joy have served as trailblazers for all of us who know them. I mean, we all know of or read about 'those people' who become foreign missionaries and move off to a faraway land to live Jesus in front of strangers... we read of folks who intentionally (yeah, on purpose!) move away from family and everything familiar to live among people with whom they share very little common ground...

but I KNOW these people! They are my dear friends! I once dated Lynn's daughter! (yes, he started his family VERY young)... Joy credits me with putting chewing gum in her hair back in high school (though I am still convinced she has me and my brother confused)...

What I mean to say is this: these are normal people! and they have completely given their lives to become 'all thing to all people' in the Chiroqui province of Panama... (I'm not talking about going once every couple years to a faroff place on a 'mission trip - that's important, don't get me wrong - I'm talking about 'moving in'!) ...and I love that I know that it is possible! I love that it is sinking in to my thick skull that I could do that someday, too...

I love their hearts and I love their faith... 'cause while they are normal and flawed and broken and saved, they are, without a doubt, GIANTS!

and, today, there are a dozen or so folks who are getting on a plane in a few hours to spend a week with them showing Jesus to the people of Volcan...

how cool is that?

please follow Lynn and Joy's journey on their blog... they are both very good writers, and you will enjoy reading it... and for those of us who have been blessed with the chance to be there with them, it is especially meaningful! http://www.riversideinpanama.blogspot.com/

God Bless!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

wow!
I want to meet these giants!
Thanks for the part about us being human, broken and flawed! Truly God is doing the work with these broken, and renewed hearts! All glory is His!
We love you too, and wish you were on that plane, which now has arrived. All are in route by bus for here!

Lynn said...

by the way, I am sure it was you with the bubble gum! Your brother was WAY too mature for that! :)