Saturday, June 21, 2008

on a wire

This is a cautionary tale to all who lead.

Whether you lead a boy scout troop, teach a Bible class or coach a summer baseball team...

Whether you sing in a Christian band, preach to the congregation, lead worship or lead a 'tribe' at VBS...

If people look to you in any fashion for an example (and, by the way, that fits anyone who is reading this), please read on...

You may feel tremendous pressure to be 'on'... you may feel a lot of stress about how much someone looks up to... you may feel very undeserving of the attention or accolades given you... it may be that you feel like crumbling under that microscope or escaping from that level of scrutiny...

If you are feeling any of this kind of pressure to 'perform', Christian Artist 'Third Day' captures your emotion perfectly in the lyrics to their song 'Wire':

Turn on the spotlight, strike up the band
Everyone’s looking my way
They came to see the excitement firsthand
And hear all that I’ve got to say
Oh, it makes me wonder:
What if I slip, will they catch me
Or watch me fall?

If you have ever feel like this (and sometimes I have...), Let me encourage you to stay strong. Keep your courage up. Take heart in these words from the the prophet Isaiah:

but those who wait upon the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

The New International Version renders 'wait' as 'hope'... "they that hope in the Lord will renew their strength..."

So maybe it is when I am feeling the most 'pressure' that I need to check who it is I am 'hoping' in... perhaps I am placing all the pressure on me, and not 'waiting' on Him to take the lead and let me do what I am made to do....

follow Him.

maybe.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dig on Third Day-I have loved them for years. Also I like the idea of a praise team-seated preferably. Thanks for making an entry--slacker! just teasing-i anxiously wait your entries!