Saturday, August 4, 2007

living like Jesus - who are your friends?

I am blessed with many friends... some very close, some more distant, some from my childhood and some who are new. I was thinking of my friends and that made me think of Jesus and His friends...

There was a time in my life when I was very concerned with 'who' my friends were... I wanted friends who had position and power and prestige. I wanted to be invited to the outings and parties of the folks who were in the 'in' crowd.

Jesus was never very concerned with being a part of that crowd... the 'in' crowd in His day were the religious leaders and powerful politicians, and He had less than stellar things to say to and about them... I doubt anyone would have accused Him of aspiring to 'rub elbows' with the rich and powerful.

Maybe we should take an example from Jesus. My observation is that His friends could be divided into two groups (not that He would have 'divided' them this way):
  1. those whom He could help, and
  2. those who could help Him help others

His followers and friends were made up of broken people who were helped by Him and were helping Him spread His love. As I begin to grasp that, it changes my view of who my friends are. Sometimes (not always) we call people our 'friends' because of what they are able to do for us... or what we are able to do for them... Jesus' friends were fishermen and tax collectors and prostitutes... not the cream of the crop societally...

As I have gotten older and done more 'living' (and gotten more bumps and bruises and made more mistakes), I have learned who my freinds really are... and I have long since stopped caring about titles and parties and the 'in' crowd... as a matter of fact, when I do have occasion to be in the presence of the self-appointed 'pretty and powerful people' of my community, I get a sick feeling in my stomach.

It's not that I feel superior to them... It's not like I want to be them... and I don't envy them. I just look at them and see, well.... a younger version of me. Many of these folks are good people; many are very benevolent and kind... many (not all) are God-fearing folks trying to raise their children right.

But so was I, 15 years ago. But I was so missing the point. I was trying to impress and gain and jockey... Oh, I was taking my family to church every Sunday and trying to provide a 'christian' environment for my kids to grow up in... some would say I was a 'church leader' ...but I was playing at it. I was doing my religion in between living my life and trying to get ahead...

But God intervened. He is molding me and shaping me (definitely still a work in progress) into a useful servant...

I am learning that everyone is broken... and some of us still fight that fact. Some still want to put up the facade that everything is GREAT, and that we've "got it all together"... But until we realize and admit that we are broken and unworthy sinners, God cannot use us.

So if I want to be useful to Him and His cause, I will daily admit my brokenness and let Him work His miracles in me... and that is somehow very liberating!

The notion that God can use me, a very broken man, is at once humbling and unbelievably exciting!

God Bless!

No comments: