Monday, September 15, 2008

5 good marriage rules to live by

OK, 24 years is considered a long time by some... and that's how long Kelly and I have been married. In some ways it really does seem much much shorter than that to me...

and believe me, I do not for a minute think it makes me qualified to speak intelligently about the subject...

however, as much as I hate to admit it, Kelly and I are probably those 'older' men and women mentioned in Titus 2 who are encouraged to 'teach the younger' folks how to behave (paraphrase mine)... I still have WAY more questions than answers about marriage... but I will offer just 5 things I would suggest to those men who are trying to make their marriage a great one:


so, here goes:

  1. if you travel, don't go into great detail about the scrumptious meal you just ate in that exclusive restaurant in L.A. while your wife and kiddos ate happy meals from Mickey D's! (personal experience, believe it!)
  2. ditto above about your lodging when you travel... (helpful hint: make sure to always plan your dining out and lodging arrangements to be more extravagant when your wife is with you than when she is not!)
  3. don't eat at a restaurant with a female other than your wife.... If you have to eat at a restaurant with someone of the opposite sex, make certain there are more people than just you two at the meal. (I know many people will say I should step into the 21st century, and make fun of this suggestion... but I'm telling you, there is no reason at all for a married man and woman to dine together alone... none)
  4. you are typically not a thoughtful breed... so do whatever it takes to remind yourself to think about your wife through the day, and call/text/email her to tell her you are thinking about her.
  5. date her.... often. movie out or video night at home or prepare a meal or take her out to eat or to a live event or concert or play or just to walmart to look at the goldfish or to Lowe's to dream about that new oven or set of drapes...

OK, you know that I don't know much. but I stand by these 5...

please feel free to respond and add your own comments and suggestions...

God Bless!

3 comments:

Elizabeth Cheek said...

hey-wanna babysit?. . . Airl and I need a date! just teasing-esc

Tim said...

we would REALLY LOVE to have your beautiful kiddos visit with us while you and Airl go on a date!

Lynn said...

ok, then can you dog sit for us next week?
we´ll be ready!