Saturday, August 9, 2008

7:30 drinking coffee and watching Lucy the Wonderdog

So everyone in my house is sleeping soundly at this hour (and who wouldn't, on a quiet Saturday morning?), and Lucy the Wonderdog and me are sitting on the back porch drinking coffee... well, she's not... actually, she's gnawing on the little plastic rake which we use to scoop up her.... um... business...

YECCCHHH!

anyhow, the temperature is a very nice 72 degrees and there is a coolness in the air that carries the promise that fall is not too far away... yeah, I know, we still have a lot of August left... and a lot of really hot days! But this morning is a reminder that cooler days are coming...

With that promise, however, comes quite a few new challenges... the end of summer always signals the beginning of school, but there are some new twists ahead for our family.

For the first time in 19 years, Kelly will have a full-time job outside the home... for those who have worked as stay-at-home mommas, you know that really means she is taking on a full-time 'second' job! and we are both anxious (in a positive way) about her first day this Monday...

Cassie - my ten year old - will be at a new school when school starts in 10 days. She's officially a middle-schooler now! That will present new challenges...

Cara - my 16 year old - will be driving herself to high school in 10 days, and that's a new thing! She begins her junior year, where grades and career direction begin to take some shape... wow!

Caitlin has transferred from York College to Harding U for her sophomore year, and she is completely stoked! (as are her parents) closer to home, more focused on a possible career track (speech pathology), dozens of close friends at HU, endless foreign mission opportunities... what a blessing!

and I begin settling in to some new responsibilities at my job as well...

I like routine, but I really seem to crave (more as I get older - is that weird?) the excitement and change and opportunity God continually brings to our lives...

I know it's cliche, but.... sitting here in the cool air of a Saturday morning in August... I cannot help but think of this as being a metaphor for our life: (wait for it....)

the calm before the storm!

and I mean 'storm' in the most positive way possible!


God Bless !

No comments: