Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Carried to the Table

One of my very favorite stories in the Bible is that of Mephibosheth. It is a beautiful picture of reconciliation and mercy, as David literally seeks out the offspring of his deadly (and dead) rival, the late King Saul. When David finds the lone surviving heir to Saul, he does an incredible thing: he saves him!

Though David would likely have been expected to kill off any remnant of his mortal enemy (and possibly be justified in doing so), instead he found the grandson of Saul - the son of his best friend Jonathon - and had him carried to his table. The reason Mephibosheth was carried to the table was because he was crippled in both feet...

Think about that for a minute. This crippled, broken, poor man was shown unfathomable mercy by the very one who had the power to extinguish his life. Sound Familiar?

While we serve a star-breathing God who could speak our little speck of stardust called earth out of existence just as easily as He spoke it into existence, He chose instead to sacrifice His only son to reconcile us to Him... he saved us.

Wow... wow.

Leeland wrote a song which we heard them sing a few weeks ago as they 'opened' for Casting Crowns... it is entitled "carried to the table". The chorus goes like this:

I was carried to the table - Seated where I don’t belong
Carried to the table - Swept away by His love
And I don’t see my brokenness anymore
When I’m seated at the table of the Lord
I’m carried to the table - The table of the Lord

It is the story of Mephibosheth... but the reason it brings tears to my eyes is that I recognize it as the story of Tim.

It's the story of you...

Blessings...

No comments: