Friday, November 2, 2007

Diverse City

OK, if you know me at all, you know I love music... all kinds... I love a great jazz piece, I am very moved by most classical music (one of my most treasured 'musical' memories was when Kelly and I sat in a hall in Vienna, Austria and listened to the Vienna Boys Choir - I still get chills when I think about it...), popular music, country music, metal (some of it), classic rock... I like it all!

I have recently been exposed to the music of Toby Mac... the song I have fallen in love with has, like, a "70's funk meets rap" sort of groove... (I know... but I really like it!)

the song is Diverse City, a song which talks about the differences between brothers and sisters in Christ... and how they all can praise and worship God together, as the body of Christ... here's the chorus:

They call us Diverse City
we're colored for good
It's like a freak show in your neighborhood
So, if you wanna praise you can come on down
'cause this freak show is leaving the ground

The deeper meaning, of course, is that God does not see us the way we see each other... "God does not judge by external appearance" is how Paul said it in his letter to the Galatian churches...

My favorite line in the song describes, I believe, God's plan for us:

"...put your hand in the hand of mine,
we'll spread this love like dandelions"

As I think of our Riverside experiment, it occurs to me that one of the most challenging things God will do with us is to erase our idea of what a 'christian' looks like... and one reason I really love this song is it stretches me... and, hopefully, makes me desire to see people as God sees them.

When He changes my vision to see people the way He does, then I will begin to share His Son like I should...

God Bless!

No comments: