Sunday, November 11, 2007

Four Roaring Lambs

When Bob Briner wrote his 'Roaring Lambs' books, he caused tens of thousands of Christians to rethink their idea of 'mission work'... I was one of them.

Having been on the mission field in 6 countries on 4 continents over the last decade and a half, I always figured that these 1-week-to-10-day-stints constituted great mission efforts.... that I was satisfying my 'great commission quota' and truly doing God's work spreading His gospel. And I still believe that sort of effort is very vital Kingdom-building work.

As a matter of fact, I believe anyone who ever aspires to have a more well-adjusted Christian world view MUST get out of the Bible Belt and travel to a place where evangelical Christians are in the minority (one church in Atlanta requires that anyone wishing to serve on staff or as an elder or deacon MUST have foreign mission experience).

I am a firm believer in the statement Eddie Cloer coined (or at least made famous in my mind) when speaking to our congregation 20 years ago:

"Everyone deserves to hear the gospel once
before anyone deserves to hear it twice"

That said, I have to say that the more 'daily' missionary effort we must undertake is not what most people used to think of as missionary efforts... yeah, the great commission certainly speaks to the need for foreign missions, but the work we are all (each) called to is simply living Christ in front of those with whom we daily interact... I know, not very exciting-sounding, is it?

Cotter Schools is quadruply blessed to have Doyne Byrd, Rocky Dodson, Holly Smith and Airl Cheek employed in their school district. Doyne coaches the girls basketball teams; Rocky coaches the boys basketball teams; Holly teaches special needs kiddos, and Airl is the elementary principal.... while I am certain there are others in that district (and our other local schools as well) living Jesus in front of those students, I know first hand what these four roaring lambs do...

None of these four are superstars (sorry Doyne)... each has different ways of communicating to their charges... I know at least two have been on foreign mission trips... but it's the mission work they each do each day which has a lasting kingdom effect on those around them. Are they perfect? they would laugh at that notion. Do they make mistakes? daily. But are they making a positive impact on those precious souls they touch? undoubtedly!

I doubt any of them carry a Bible every where they go (though I bet their sword is not far away at anytime), but each of them lives it out in front of their students... I daresay none lead their students in prayer every morning before school or before practice or before meals, but each of them have prayed silently for God's guidance as they minister to these souls.... and each of them will pray with any of their students who ask... and they do ask...

I am no greek scholar, but I know a couple... and they tell me that, in the original greek, the first few words of the great commission are more accurately translated "as we go" instead of "therefore, go..."

"As we go, let us make disciples of all nations..."

Sheds a little different light on the command, doesn't it? God Bless all the roaring lambs who just live Christ in full view of their co-workers and families and employees and, yes, students....

What a mission!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Doyne isn't a superstar? And he's not perfect? Him and I are going to have a talk Monday....