Monday, November 26, 2007

is the Bible alive?

So a friend of mine gave me a book to read. I like books that open me up. I like books that reveal me and stretch me and make me draw closer to God...

So far, 'Velvet Elvis' is that kind of book. It is really entertaining and well-written and thought-provoking. And I believe it is all these things on purpose. I don't think the author purports to have all the answers.... early in the first chapter, he candidly admits that he has more questions than answers, and that every answer seems to beg 2 questions.

The book's premise seems to be that the Bible is a living, breathing body of work which must be taken in context; several inspired letters and other writings tied together by a common theme and intended for its original audience as well as every breathing human who has lived since.

It is very challenging on several levels. The most challenging idea so far (I am only in the 5th chapter) is that the Bible is not a volume of 'timeless truths', but more a collection of inspired stories which are intended to reveal to us the heart of our God and the nature of Jesus...in a way, that's a hard one to swallow... especially for a person who has been taught from his earliest recollection that the Bible is indeed chock full of timeless truths which transcend culture and tradition and...well... time.

Viewed more as the latter and less as the former, the Bible will have to be understood as a living, breathing thing. According to Velvet Elvis, it is folly to believe that Biblical interpretation does NOT go on... furthermore, we should embrace the fact that everyone 'interprets' the Book. And, that everyone brings their own historical, cultural and traditional baggage to their own personal hermeneutic. Again, for someone who was raised very conservatively, that can be a difficult concept.

Being honest, however, even I must admit that the author is dead on with his point. Everyone DOES interpret the Bible. And, yes, even the most honest seeker will see the scriptures through his own lens.

So, where does that leave us? I am not sure... I would suspect it kinda 'rocks the world' of a lot of people who were raised like me...

Stan Little was our guest speaker at Riverside yesterday morning... he had some really good thoughts, and one line from his lesson jumped out at me... I wonder if his point doesn't speak to this issue of timeless truths and our own interpretation and doctrines...

The smaller your theology, the larger your fellowship;
the larger your theology, the smaller your fellowship.

Oh, well... may God bless us as we continue to try to show Jesus to those around us today.... and as we try to understand His will for us...

more on the subject next time...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tim,
I can't wait to read this book now, I'm going to have to grab it from Ben when you've finished it. Concepts like these take some one from "baby steps" to huge bounds in our growth of spiritual maturity. Thanks for giving me something to think and pray about on the way to school each morning.
With love,
Dillion