Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The work of Salvation - our motivation

Why do you do what you do? What drives you to behave the way you behave? I suppose there are many sources of motivation for the actions of people...

Guilt. Fear. Love. Duty. Ought. Money. Praise. Instinct. Habit.

I could list hundreds... but the one driving force behind anything I do that is good should be gratitude.

When I was saved at age 9, I knew what needed to happen in order for me to be saved. As I was baptized that night, I understood 'what I needed to do' to be 'added to the Kingdom'. I had read the Acts account of Pentecost... I recited the 'hear, believe, repent, confess and be baptized' for my daddy... But as a 9 year old, I had no way of truly understanding the 'work' of salvation...

I don't know if any 9 year old child can grasp the fact that the work of salvation was accomplished once and for all on a rough Roman cross almost 20 centuries before my birth. Why did I walk down the aisle that night? I don't remember what Mid McKnight said during his sermon... I don't remember what our preacher Bill Richardson said to me as he dunked me... I remember eating a hot dog for supper and telling my daddy I wanted to be baptized.

I knew I didn't want to go to hell... not then and not ever!

And I know that's ok... I realize now that most people don't fully realize the enormity of accepting the gift of salvation until many years after they accept it...

I just want to encourage us all to check our motivation... when I attend worship... when I extend a kind deed or speak an encouraging word... when I volunteer... when I help someone... may my motivation never be guilt or ought or habit...

May my reason for doing everything be because I am beginning to understand the real work of salvation that Jesus performed for me... and the work He continues to do in and through me...

Blessings!

No comments: